About Scouting, How to Join & Unit Support: Here's information about Scouting in South Fulton and Clayton Counties

Be A Scout!  See beascout.scouting.org.  The Southern Crescent District serves Scouts, Leaders and Parents in Clayton and South Fulton County, Georgia.  Scouts are: (1) Cub Scouts, who are kids in 1st through 5th Grade, grouped in "Dens", with "Dens" grouped in "Packs" -- see this Google Map for the location of our Packs and contact information on each (compare to this Clayton County School Map and this South Fulton Schools Map), (2) Scouts in Scouts BSA Troops, who are boys or girls from the end of 5th Grade and up (and Webelos Cub Scouts who "cross over" in their 5th Grade year), members of "Troops" and "Patrols" in a Troop (information on Troops and more Pack information is in the map at the BeAScout website) -- yes, starting in February, 2019, BSA Troops can charter for Scouts who are girls, and girls can be Scouts in those BSA Troops, and (3) young men and women who are 14 (and have completed the eighth grade) through 20 years of age, called Venturers.  Southern Crescent District is in the Atlanta Area Council, which has a Scout Volunteer Service Center and Shops to serve Parents and Leaders -- see this link to find the closest Scout Shop to you (we have one in our District, at 107 Laser Industrial Ct, Fairburn, GA, and we believe that Moye's Pharmacy may have uniforms for sale.  For more information, or "Login" information to access the pages of this Website set aside for Scout Leaders, Volunteers and Parents, please contact our our District Chair, KP Smith, our District Commissioner, Gerius Pattersonor our District Executive Ramon Montgomery, or all of them at this email.  The Southern Crescent District supports our Units in many ways, such as:

Packs, Troops and Crews: See the "Be A Scout" website for information about units in the area. Each Unit has their own Activities conducted safely

Signing Up as a Youth Member:  The Youth Application form is below, but many units take "online" registration through the BeAScout website.  Your Unit will want you to complete a Health & Medical Record -- to do so click this and find the Health & Medical Record you need.  For "joining" and weekend campouts, it's the "All Scouting Events" version, for longer events, download the "Are You Going to Camp?" version, which has a "doctor physical" part that is needed for Summer Camp.  Other options exist for High Adventure.  See this Blog Post about this form but FAQs are at the bottom of the Health & Medical Record Page).  And for new "youth" members of Venturing Crews who are 18 or older, you have to complete the Adult Application, not the Youth Application.

Signing Up as an Adult Leader:  Many units take "online" registration through the BeAScout website, which will sync up with your online Youth Protection Training.  Other units will take paper applications, and for those unites, the Adult Application form is below, to be signed on two pages, and your Adult Application needs to be coupled with evidence of completion of "Youth Protection Training" by taking the course either (1) at my.scouting.org and printing the completion certificate, or (2) at a live training certified by a qualified registered leader authorized to do YPT training (more Youth Protection details here).  Note: yes, you can take live training or watch a video and get "credit" if it is reported in this way.  Adults helping Scouts in BSA Troops may also complete a Merit Badge Counselor Application (it must be coupled with another Adult Application and evidence of Youth Protection Training -- more on Merit Badge Counseling is here.  Original signed applications must be submitted (sorry, copies and emails don't work).   

Unit and Chartered Organization Resources.  If you are considering starting (or re-starting) a unit and entering into an Annual Charter Agreement with the BSA, look at this New Unit Resource.  For more, consider the Unit Performance Guide steps and this piece about selecting leadership, both to help you and your Chartered Organization Representative succeed, plus complete the New Unit Application (more here about being a Chartered Partner, and here about the BSA as a Partnership for Youth and how the BSA serves Chartered Partners).  To help build unit and school connections, one recent program is the BSA Adopt-a-School Program to connect Scout packs, troops and crews across the country with schools in their communities.  See also the Atlanta Area Council "New Unit Requirements".  Trying to recruit for your Unit?  See these resources  

If your Scouts need more support than your Chartering Organization or Parents and Guardians can provide, please see our Scoutreach Page or contact our District Executive about your needs.  Also see "Helping Units", which describes what unit commissioners can do to help, and offers a home for the "Cathy's Closet" uniform, equipment and resource donation project.